Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default OT movie on computer

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Time for a fresh cuppa joe and a Netflix movie on my computer.

Is that a downloaded movie or DVD? If downloaded, how's the
resolution/definition? Hoe many MB?

Curious,
Bob

I've been archiving all my movies, starting with the oldest VHS
tapes and now working through my DVDs.

For DVD quality (like with MPEG4) figure on about 2 gig per hour.

A 500 gig external drive will store 200 to 250 movies.

I prefer to use Nero Showtime to display them.

The Netflix instant movie option *requires* Microsoft Silver Light
media player. I thought that was a really dumb move on their part,
so there must have been money or politics involved.

The initial gouge on Silver Light is (besides bloated) that it
phones home periodically (aka Spyware).

The image quality, in part, depends on your internet connection.
But will probably look better than VHS at worst (DLS) or DVD
quality (FIOS).

Sometimes syncing image and voice is a problem.
But that's a production or server issue.

Richard