Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default Craigslist pipeline welder

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 08:51:44 -0600, SteveB wrote:
"RoyJ" ... wrote [...]
http://content.lincolnelectric.com//...r/im/IM142.pdf

A couple of things:
The Continental engine is a tough old beast, easy to work on, but parts
are expensive.

The 120 volt plug is DC, you can run lights and power tools with
brushes but not anything with an AC motor.

For that price, I'd just fire it up with a heavy rod and see if it
works. Assume the engine will last forever in hobbyist use, plan on a
rebuild if you use it commercially.

azotic wrote:
"RoyJ" ... wrote [...]
azotic wrote:
Is this a good deal ?
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/1404924594.html

Gonna check it out, take some tools with me. I figure a quick
compression test should give some indication of how worn the engine
is. Anyone know if these welders have a hour meter and where its
located ?

If the exciter and electric circuit are fried, you can buy a digital
tach from Northern tools for $30, and run it at 1450, making a
mechanical linkage. Either idle or 1450. That is what I did, figuring
I'd do it until I got it all fixed. Now, it works so good, I am just
going to leave it like that. I already have it sold for $1,000 if I
ever want to sell it.

If you mean one of
http://www2.northerntool.com/engines/small-engine-accessories/item-160590.htm
http://www2.northerntool.com/engines/small-engine-accessories/item-160595.htm
looks like the price has gone up $10.

By mechanical linkage, you mean something like a hand controlled
throttle lever, or some kind of actuator where the tach controls
the throttle?

--
jiw