Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default removing water heater elements

Jules wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:18:08 -0700, JIMMIE wrote:
Ive had that happen too, If you can get a big pipe wrench on the
socket.... Pay heed others cautions

Yep!

Annoyingly, the local tool place has sockets with 1/2" drive right up
to 1-1/4" in their
cheap-but-I-don't-care-as-I'll-only-use-it-once-range for about $3,
but the 1-1/2" that I'd actually need is 20-something bucks :-)

Sometimes you can buy used tools at "used tool" stores. You can rent tools at
rent-all stores. Pawn shops sometimes have a bin of used sockets for sale.

You could use a pipe elbow on the other end of the socket bar to get a different
angle on it.

Drilling out for a larger bar might work, or it could weaken the socket so it
deforms instead.

You could have a steel bar welded to the end of the socket you have.

As others have said, unless this is a fairly new heater, you might be better off
just leaving it untill the element really need to be replaced.