Posted to alt.home.repair
windcrest windcrest is offline

Default Sound proofing a room

On Oct 2, 9:14*am, wrote:
On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 06:37:43 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

100 people were killed in a matter of minutes at the Station Night
Club in Rhode Island a few years ago when acoustic foam that was not
rated fireproof, caught fire and burned VERY QUICKLY and emitted toxic
fumes. (google for details) The safe stuff is more expensive.

yeah that fire was terrible componded by locked fire doors so people
coudnt leak in without paying

Not true. There were at least 4 useble exits. The problems we 1)
Initially everyone thought the fire was part of the show. 2)The fire
completed engulfed the palce in a matter of 4 or 5 minutes. 3)Most of
the crowd, even those near other exits all stampeded to the front door
where they had entered. That quickly resulted in a doorway filled with
panicked people stacked up and wedged in the doorway.

There was a crew there, filming a documentary about nightclub safety
(!) of all things. They have photos of the front entrance with all the
bodies, dead and alive, wedged there.

The people farthest from the front door, and near the stage when the
fire started were within 10 feet of an unlocked fire exit that was
ignored by most of them, including some of the band.

lesson learned: Whenever you are in a crowded public space, make sure
you immediately figure out where the closest emergency exit is
located. Finding it in the middle of chaos and darkness may be
impossible.

I used to have Soundex and Audex foam panels in my studio, I ripped it
all out after that fire, now I have all rigid fiberglass upholstered
with nice some fabrics my wife selected. They look a hell of a lot
better than urethane acoustical foam too. The fabric was applied with
3M #90 spray glue then I ironed it flat while the glue was still wet
under the fabric. This permanently bonded the fabric to the
fiberglass very tight and flat. Washing the fabric in a highly
concentrated mixture of 20 Mule Team Borax (no rinse) also makes the
fabric itself fire-retardant.