Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default How to make quarter rounds and to make a diagonal cut with commontools?

dadiOH wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or
A. Use a router and 1 1/2" radius router bit, $114.71 here...
http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v156-0102

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round. That will make a 1-1/2"
quarter-round.

Let me see...if I use a 3/8" radius quarter round bit on a piece of wood 3/4
x 3/4 I wind up with a nice piece of 3/4 quarter round. Seems to me that a
1 1/2" radius bit appled to a piece of 3x3 would yield a 3" quarter round.
No?
___________

B. Cut into octogan, quarter it, plane/spokeshave/sand to round

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round either.

Whoops, see below...
______________

C. Use a lathe

Neither will that.

Will too. He just has to glue up four pieces of 3x3 before turning

Heh - this is getting pretty messy.

A while back I needed four 3" radius corner pieces and I routed 'em from
a 2x4, which gave me a nice quarter round without the 90° corner.

I used a 1" round nose bit and took a photo about halfway through the
process. I just uploaded it to
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/DSCN1386.JPG (It's a sizable file, so
you may want to skip if you have a dial-up connection) so you can see
the chips flying.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar