Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How to make quarter rounds and to make a diagonal cut with commontools?

On Sep 30, 9:03*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

1. Make a 3" quarter round, or
2. Make a "diagonal" cut so that the lumber has a triangular 3"x3"x profile.

I have a table saw and a band saw.

Triangular cut - flop TS to 45, cut through one corner about 1/4" less
than halfway through (assuming normal size TS), insert tight-fitting
shim into saw kerf and tape across kerf in several places to hold
pieces together for safety while you complete the cut, flip stock over
and cut from opposite corner, again just short of halfway, complete
cut with a handsaw and cleanup with a hand plane.

Quarter round - mark desired profile on end grain of stock, make a cut
with the saw blade height just shy of the drawn profile mark (marked
curve is facing concave side up), move fence ~1/4" and adjust blade
height to just short of the line, make cut, repeat process. The trick
is to make the repeated cuts on two sides and try to leave the largest
square possible in the area to be wasted. Use the shim/tape to
stabilize the kerf(s) as necessary for safety. There are variations
on this technique, and safety is paramount, so plan out your cuts
before you have an unexpected one.