Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Sound proofing a room

hibb wrote:

In addition to the bedroom I will be remodeling that I mentioned in
another thread, I am also going to remodel another room to use as a
small recording studio.

What's the best process and materials to sound proof the room? Any
good web sites out there that explains how to do it?

I will also post on a couple of the recording newsgroups too.

Thanks, David

Are you trying to keep sound from coming in from outside, or keep the sounds
you'll make inside from annoying others outside, or both?

Either way, low frequencies usually cause the most trouble. Try to uncouple
instruments (or amplifiers) and mic stands from the floor, chunks of thick
(and dense) foam underneath them helps. I've seen people hang carpet on the
walls to absorb sound, stuff windows full of foam and so on. But those low
frequencies don't care much, it's like bone-conduction, it seems to come
right through the structure of the building. You'll also probably want to
deaden the room a bit to keep sound from bouncing around too much, carpeting
and thick drapes helps a lot with that.

It's worth noting that professional studios are either purpose-built or are
extensively modified for that role, there doesn't seem to be anything like a
"spray on" solution. Lots of ideas out there however....

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com...ng-studio.aspx

http://arts.ucsc.edu/EMS/Music/tech_.../teces_14.html

http://www.petethomas.co.uk/home-soundproofing.html

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/Quick_...ce_Studio.html