Posted to alt.home.repair
windcrest windcrest is offline

Default Sound proofing a room

On Sep 30, 9:30*am, hibb wrote:
In addition to the bedroom I will be remodeling that I mentioned in
another thread, I am also going to remodel another room to use as a
small recording studio.

What's the best process and materials to sound proof the room? Any
good web sites out there that explains how to do it?

I will also post on a couple of the recording newsgroups too.

Thanks, David

Build a isolated dual wall system using 2x4 studs on 2x6 top and
bottom plates, frame the "outside wall" oc 16 inches like normal,
frame the "inside wall" oc 16 inches but offset the first stud by 8
inches. Drywall out and in with 5/8 drywall, some add another layer
of drywall in the middle cavity fastened to the backside of the
"outside" wall. This is the only reasonable way to isolate a room.
Mass and/or mechanical isolation stops sound (not foam). Foam is used
to treat reflections and absorb bass modes within the room. As for
the "gray egg crates" mentioned in another post, real egg cartons are
a fallicy seen in movies, they do nothing and are a BIG fire hazard,
wont pass inspection. Open cell polyurethane foam is also a HUGE fire
hazard, actually worse than egg cartons. The only class A fire rated
material excellent for internal reflection control and for controling
bass modes and boominess is rigid fiberglass panels (google Manville
rigid fiberglass, whispertone, etc). Buy the rigid fierglass, cut
panels, and upholster the panels in your favorite decorator fabric
with a hot iron and spray glue, then hang them strategically based on
SPL measurements taken with a tone sweep generator and real time room
analyzer till you get flat frequency responce in the room. Another
thing to consider is the heating duct work to the room if you have
forced air heat (and AC). This will be the biggest nuisance, a
heating contractor can flare the ducts to be quieter and isolate the
furnace vibration from transmitting into the duct work. Also google
"resilient strips" for hanging the ceiling drywall if you want to
soundfroof the ceiling from the joists, again isolation is solving the
problem (not foam or insulation). Google how to build the dual wall
system I described above, it works great and only adds 2 inches to a
wall thickness. You could put insulation in the walls but it will
have little effect, however isolation and/or mass works best, so a
dual wall with 5/8 or 3/4 inch drywall gets you more bang for the buck
than insulation, a third layer of drywall in the cavity will make it
super quiet.

I have a home recording studio too.