Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default How to measure casement window opening?

"DerbyDad03" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Derby, you will at the least have to remove one top or bottom
piece, and one side piece of your outer window framing.

Maybe...maybe not.

I guess it depends on what you are calling the "outer window framing".

Terminology can be tricky. I don't have any professional training so
sometimes i find the word i used, isnt the right one.

There is the trim on the wall, then the jamb pieces (at a right angle
to the trim), then a strip of molding that acts as the "inside stop"
for each sash. This molding is on both sides and across the top.

The trim is what has to come off.

I think that if I remove that strip of molding, I'll be able to see
how the sash and jamb interact. If the jamb is flat behind both the
trim and the sashes, then that is what I can call the "opening" and

Yup! You just need to check behind that.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome! Hey, I am asking for some too in another thread. My flowering
pear tree fell on my house ;-) Was not a wise choice of tree type to get
and it split in half last night (so I took the day off to deal with it).
Tree now professionally removed including stump. Now looking at ideas for a
suitable tree. Grin, I see there are replies and probably didnt give enough
info!