Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to measure casement window opening?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
(snip)

I guess I'm not explaining this very well, so I'll try again.

When I replaced all the double hung windows in my house, the
measurements were pretty simple. The windows had wooden sashes that
rode up and down in aluminum tracks with springs inside plastic tubes
as "counterweights". It was easy to slip thin strips of material
between the tracks and the interior stops to determine the width
measurement of the rough opening without taking the window out. The
height was even easier since the top and bottom of the rough opening
were exposed when the windows were open. There was no question as to
what was part of the window and what was the rough opening.

Okay, THAT is why people are getting confused. That is NOT the rough
opening. That is the 'inside the jamb' dimensions. Rough opening is the
dimensions of the hole in the wall framing that the jamb fits into, stud
to stud, and sill to header. What you described is the dimensions for a
sash replacement kit, not a replacement window. I guess some vendors
actually sell a whole new thin-framed window to fit inside those
dimensions, but most people prefer to either just replace the sashes, or
replace the whole window, so as to not end up with visibly smaller windows.

Again, you may or may not be able to reuse the old jamb from the kitchen
casement windows- depends how it is designed, and how the jamb was
milled. If it is all milled out of one board on each side, you likely
would have a lot of chisel and router work to get it flat enough to
attach anything to. If it is a regular jamb with attached inner pieces,
you could peel those out. No way to tell without seeing it, and prying
at the joints with a sharp putty knife.

--
aem sends...