Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Now, honestly ..........

wrote:

I've become quite rigid on the subject of safety glasses, dust masks,
hearing protectors and so on. Young people heal so quickly, they
have no idea....

Absolutely! Young people don't heal from hearing loss caused by loud
noise (lots of bands, including USMC) require hearing protection.

My wife and I take good earplugs to concerts these days, and if we're in the
kill-zone of a speaker array then we'll use the plugs. I'd have laughed at
the idea when I was a youngster, the louder the better. I can remember my
ears ringing for *days* after seeing The Who or Deep Purple. But there is a
little threshold shift every time that happens....

I talked my doctor into sending for a hearing test a few years ago, the
technician who did the test said my hearing was average for my age. I took
that as an insult.