Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Now, honestly ..........

How many of you use a five gallon plastic bucket for a ladder? I know it's
not such a good idea, and I cringe when I see someone else do it, from being
a safety professional and suffering from the hypervigilance of PTSD. And
yet, I just did it, and with little reservation. I have seen people "walk"
these remarkable distances, and use them quite adroitly. I also have heard
tales of woe and steel pins and screws. And yet, if I need to do something
straight up, and all I need is a foot or two, I grab a bucket, because I can
never find the damn ladder.

Steve

--
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson -

So, how's that change and hope working for you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2009 2:04 PM SteveB spake thus:

How many of you use a five gallon plastic bucket for a ladder?

Me.

I know it's not such a good idea, and I cringe when I see someone
else do it, from being a safety professional and suffering from the
hypervigilance of PTSD. And yet, I just did it, and with little
reservation. I have seen people "walk" these remarkable distances,
and use them quite adroitly. I also have heard tales of woe and steel
pins and screws. And yet, if I need to do something straight up, and
all I need is a foot or two, I grab a bucket, because I can never
find the damn ladder.

Plastic buckets sometimes break when you step on them. I know this.

I've had it happen to me.

But I *still* sometimes grab one when I need to get up about a foot or
so ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/28/2009 2:04 PM SteveB spake thus:

How many of you use a five gallon plastic bucket for a ladder?

Me.

I know it's not such a good idea, and I cringe when I see someone else
do it, from being a safety professional and suffering from the
hypervigilance of PTSD. And yet, I just did it, and with little
reservation. I have seen people "walk" these remarkable distances, and
use them quite adroitly. I also have heard tales of woe and steel
pins and screws. And yet, if I need to do something straight up, and
all I need is a foot or two, I grab a bucket, because I can never
find the damn ladder.

Plastic buckets sometimes break when you step on them. I know this.

I've had it happen to me.

But I *still* sometimes grab one when I need to get up about a foot or
so ...

I'll second the steel pins and screws stories. 2 coworkers of mine, in
seperate incidents, trashed themselves pretty badly with stupid falls
doing household repairs with improper ladder rigging. One is back up and
running, although he limps a little, can forecast the weather, and has
to carry a letter for airport security. The other guy, well, he is sorta
back to work, uses a cane now, but he ain't ever gonna be right.

I was already getting a little more paranoid with advancing age, but now
I double-check everything before I leave ground level.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Don't ignore ground level - slippery floors, lighting, look out for
blind drivers backing out of parking spaces. Fortunately, my daughter
is a sales rep for human hardware - if I ever break a bone, I will have
an "in" with select orthopedic surgeons and, perhaps, a discount on the
hardware. Knock on wood. Had nasty, painful tendonitis in each
shoulder, separately. Took anti-inflammatories until they made my
stomach hurt. Decided I could go another 10 years without my family doc
- switched to hot showers with stretching exercises (alone) So far,
for the past 35 years, ice packs and/or heating pads have cured all that
has ailed me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

I'll second the steel pins and screws stories. 2 coworkers of mine, in
seperate incidents, trashed themselves pretty badly with stupid falls
doing household repairs with improper ladder rigging. One is back up
and running, although he limps a little, can forecast the weather,
and has to carry a letter for airport security. The other guy, well,
he is sorta back to work, uses a cane now, but he ain't ever gonna be
right.
I was already getting a little more paranoid with advancing age, but
now I double-check everything before I leave ground level.

I've become quite rigid on the subject of safety glasses, dust masks,
hearing protectors and so on. Young people heal so quickly, they have no
idea....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

In my kitchen I have a small folding 2-step stepstool. SWMBO is
vertically challenged compared to Yours Truly, you see, therefore
sometimes I put things on a shelf that I can reach but she can't.
Handiest little thing ever, use it a lot for other uses, e.g. waxing the
top of a pickup truck camper shell etc. (why are Fords so damn tall,
anyway?)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "DGDevin" wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

I'll second the steel pins and screws stories. 2 coworkers of mine, in
seperate incidents, trashed themselves pretty badly with stupid falls
doing household repairs with improper ladder rigging. One is back up
and running, although he limps a little, can forecast the weather,
and has to carry a letter for airport security. The other guy, well,
he is sorta back to work, uses a cane now, but he ain't ever gonna be
right.
I was already getting a little more paranoid with advancing age, but
now I double-check everything before I leave ground level.

I've become quite rigid on the subject of safety glasses, dust masks,
hearing protectors and so on. Young people heal so quickly, they have no
idea....

Not safety glasses (or goggles) -- face shield. There are other things on your
face, besides your eyes, that are worth protecting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Both my vehicles have a folding two step "sorta ladder"
which I use nearly daily, in my work. I can't remember doing
the flipped over bucket, in the last many years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

In my kitchen I have a small folding 2-step stepstool.
SWMBO is
vertically challenged compared to Yours Truly, you see,
therefore
sometimes I put things on a shelf that I can reach but she
can't.
Handiest little thing ever, use it a lot for other uses,
e.g. waxing the
top of a pickup truck camper shell etc. (why are Fords so
damn tall,
anyway?)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

I'll second the steel pins and screws stories. 2 coworkers of mine, in
seperate incidents, trashed themselves pretty badly with stupid falls
doing household repairs with improper ladder rigging. One is back up
and running, although he limps a little, can forecast the weather,
and has to carry a letter for airport security. The other guy, well,
he is sorta back to work, uses a cane now, but he ain't ever gonna be
right.
I was already getting a little more paranoid with advancing age, but
now I double-check everything before I leave ground level.

I've become quite rigid on the subject of safety glasses, dust masks,
hearing protectors and so on. Young people heal so quickly, they have no
idea....

Injured eyes often don't heal, and hearing damage is cumulative, almost
like radiation. First-hand experience with both. Spent a week in
hospital in junior high, from an idiot quasi-friend shooting me with a
BB gun- the angels were watching, and the eyeball was only scratched,
although it took several days for the corneal clouding from the blood to
clear, and streetlights had halos for several months. I got laughed at
on jobsites after that for insisting on safety goggles for jobs
involving shrapnel. I'm half deaf at this point, even though I was too
poor for rock concerts and loud stereos as a kid. Best guess is it was
construction and yard care power equipment- nobody wore ear protection
back then, except maybe the jackhammer guy. I wear muffs while mowing now.

But you are sure right- what made me stiff and sore at 18 would put me
in the hospital now.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I will occasionally use a bucket, but first I'll stress test it a
little to make sure it hasn't gotten brittle and make sure I can
safely land in any direction. I'll usually avoid it though. Not much
worse than the wobbly step ladder we recently threw out...because I
was afraid someone would get killed on it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
aemeijers wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

What a bunch of girly men...LOL...JUST KIDDING....I use a bucket all the
time..As a drywaller there is ALWAYS one around..LOL...But then again I use
stilts as well....Sometimes I even walk out into stairwells with stilts on a
plank out to an extension ladder to tape the top of the stairwell....I also
roll Baker staging around like a skateboard....I do use eye protection and
dust masks when needed though..LOL....The house I'm doing right now has a
cathedral ceiling 3 sets high on wheels...Welcome to MY world....LOL....

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

I'll second the steel pins and screws stories. 2 coworkers of mine, in
seperate incidents, trashed themselves pretty badly with stupid falls
doing household repairs with improper ladder rigging. One is back up
and running, although he limps a little, can forecast the weather,
and has to carry a letter for airport security. The other guy, well,
he is sorta back to work, uses a cane now, but he ain't ever gonna be
right.
I was already getting a little more paranoid with advancing age, but
now I double-check everything before I leave ground level.

I've become quite rigid on the subject of safety glasses, dust masks,
hearing protectors and so on. Young people heal so quickly, they have no
idea....

Absolutely! Young people don't heal from hearing loss caused by loud
noise (lots of bands, including USMC) require hearing protection.

I know a fellow whose eyes were saved by eyeglasses after he started a
lathe and forgot to remove his Allen wrench. The wrench hung up for a
sec, then was flung at his face. Broke his glasses, got glass in his
eyes, but NO DAMAGE. As is true in a lot of auto acc., the boozers are
often not the worst hurt. I think the guy drank his lunch most days
(this happened at work).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
aemeijers wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

In my house, SWMBO uses a 8" tall plastic foot stool, which I am forever
running into and kicking for a field goal. Much to her dismay.

Steve

--
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson -

So, how's that change and hope working for you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

How many of you use a five gallon plastic bucket for a ladder? I know
it's not such a good idea, and I cringe when I see someone else do it,
from being a safety professional and suffering from the hypervigilance
of PTSD. And yet, I just did it, and with little reservation. I have
seen people "walk" these remarkable distances, and use them quite
adroitly. I also have heard tales of woe and steel pins and screws.
And yet, if I need to do something straight up, and all I need is a
foot or two, I grab a bucket, because I can never find the damn
ladder.

Steve

No, I don't Steve. The bottoms cave in and they tip too easy. And for
many of my adult years I lived where 20-30 below zero winters were
common. Using it when it was cold they're sure to break. Using it when
they've been exposed to that cold for some time they get brittle even
after warming up.

I do have a 2 step (real) stepladder. My "cheat" ladders are plastic milk
crates. Even those will tilt over if the weight is on the edge only. More
stable because they're shorter than a bucket but what height is best for
a cheater? Well, how long does the dog want his leash? Just a little
longer of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hope you sawed the ladder in half. Some dumpster diver may
come back to sue you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry The Snake Guy" wrote in message
I will occasionally use a bucket, but first I'll stress test
it a
little to make sure it hasn't gotten brittle and make sure I
can
safely land in any direction. I'll usually avoid it though.
Not much
worse than the wobbly step ladder we recently threw
out...because I
was afraid someone would get killed on it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
How many of you use a five gallon plastic bucket for a ladder? I know
it's not such a good idea, and I cringe when I see someone else do it,
from being a safety professional and suffering from the hypervigilance of
PTSD. And yet, I just did it, and with little reservation. I have seen
people "walk" these remarkable distances, and use them quite adroitly. I
also have heard tales of woe and steel pins and screws. And yet, if I
need to do something straight up, and all I need is a foot or two, I grab
a bucket, because I can never find the damn ladder.

Steve

Sorry, I used either a two-step plastic folding thing that is weight-tested
for my mass, or a three step metal folding step ladder with similar promise
of strength, or the real thing, depending on which one suits my needs of the
moment. Plastic buckets are not a good idea, and neither are milk crates.
When you fall after 40 you no longer bounce back up, you just lay there and
ring. And I am pushing 50, only a few months away.

My $.02. YMMV

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, hell! I was YOUNG when I was 50 )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in
:

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

And I am pushing
50, only a few months away.

Kids...boy I tell ya. When I was his age we didn't have... yak yak yak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9C951E4312A7RedGreen@
216.168.3.70:

"Dave" wrote in
:

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Hell, I could jump two trusses in an attic WAY back then. Down to one now
that I'm closer to 60 than 50...barely closer to 60 mind you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

I've become quite rigid on the subject of safety glasses, dust masks,
hearing protectors and so on. Young people heal so quickly, they
have no idea....

Not safety glasses (or goggles) -- face shield. There are other
things on your
face, besides your eyes, that are worth protecting.

I have one of those too which I use when doing something that produces
chunks of flying wood or metal as opposed to shavings and sawdust. I also
forget to mention safety boots, a thick shop apron and sturdy gloves when
appropriate. I'm actually thinking of getting a hardhat (something I
haven't worn for years and years), I'm going to look like a safety poster in
an industrial arts class....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 5:27*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Same here. I rehabbed and added an addition to my house before I
wised up and bought one of those stepstools. First time I used it I
realized I should have bought one 20 years earlier. Now I am debating
buying a second one to keep in the garage/shop.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

OOh- flashback. I used to be able to stand on the subfloor in a just
framed house, jump up, grab a ceiling joist, and pull myself up into the
attic. That was several decades and at least 30 pounds ago, though.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/28/2009 2:04 PM SteveB spake thus:

How many of you use a five gallon plastic bucket for a ladder?

Me.

I know it's not such a good idea, and I cringe when I see someone else
do it, from being a safety professional and suffering from the
hypervigilance of PTSD. And yet, I just did it, and with little
reservation. I have seen people "walk" these remarkable distances, and
use them quite adroitly. I also have heard tales of woe and steel
pins and screws. And yet, if I need to do something straight up, and
all I need is a foot or two, I grab a bucket, because I can never
find the damn ladder.

Plastic buckets sometimes break when you step on them. I know this.

I've had it happen to me.

But I *still* sometimes grab one when I need to get up about a foot or
so ...

Depends. If a person is over seight of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
How many of you use a five gallon plastic bucket for a ladder? I know it's
not such a good idea, and I cringe when I see someone else do it, from being
a safety professional and suffering from the hypervigilance of PTSD. And
yet, I just did it, and with little reservation. I have seen people "walk"
these remarkable distances, and use them quite adroitly. I also have heard
tales of woe and steel pins and screws. And yet, if I need to do something
straight up, and all I need is a foot or two, I grab a bucket, because I can
never find the damn ladder.

Steve

Hi,
I have few step ladders around house. I am very safety conscious.
In my active working days, safety engineer could have you fired on the
spot if you did stupid things. There is no such thing as over safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bucket-- not any more. I think I've exceeded their weight ratings.

I like my little aluminum motorcycle stand for stability. I paid $5
for it at a garage sale- like this one
http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=68

I've also been dragging an 8" concrete block around in the basement
these days. A couple drops and it settles right in to the gravel
floor.

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:30:42 -0700, "DGDevin"
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

I've become quite rigid on the subject of safety glasses, dust masks,
hearing protectors and so on. Young people heal so quickly, they
have no idea....

Not safety glasses (or goggles) -- face shield. There are other
things on your
face, besides your eyes, that are worth protecting.

Glasses & goggles I've gotten used to. A face shield sounds like a
winner though.
-snip-

I'm actually thinking of getting a hardhat (something I
haven't worn for years and years), I'm going to look like a safety poster in
an industrial arts class....

While digging in my basement a couple years ago I plopped one on one
day to keep sand out of my hair when digging overhead. The same
day I found my first rock- a baseball sized stone that I saw coming
and enough time to turn the hard hat towards it. Made a nice ringing
sound- but no lumps. Now I always don the hard hat if I'm working
overhead. [I work alone so I don't have to worry about the other
guy.

Another safety deal I've gotten anal about is capping rerod. Only
took a couple close calls to smarten me up on that one.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:04:31 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

How many of you use a five gallon plastic bucket for a ladder? I know it's
not such a good idea, and I cringe when I see someone else do it, from being
a safety professional and suffering from the hypervigilance of PTSD. And
yet, I just did it, and with little reservation. I have seen people "walk"
these remarkable distances, and use them quite adroitly. I also have heard
tales of woe and steel pins and screws. And yet, if I need to do something
straight up, and all I need is a foot or two, I grab a bucket, because I can
never find the damn ladder.

Steve

There is no subtitute for a sturdy ladder. Anything else is asking
for trip to medical. Every homeowner should own a few sizes. Yeah,
I'm guilty of using a chair instead of a step stool, never a 5-gallon
bucket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How many of you use a five gallon plastic bucket for a ladder? I know it's
not such a good idea, and I cringe when I see someone else do it, from being
a safety professional and suffering from the hypervigilance of PTSD. And
yet, I just did it, and with little reservation. I have seen people "walk"
these remarkable distances, and use them quite adroitly. I also have heard
tales of woe and steel pins and screws. And yet, if I need to do something
straight up, and all I need is a foot or two, I grab a bucket, because I can
never find the damn ladder.

Steve

There is no subtitute for a sturdy ladder. Anything else is asking
for trip to medical. Every homeowner should own a few sizes. Yeah,
I'm guilty of using a chair instead of a step stool, never a 5-gallon
bucket.

5 gallon buckets, like those containing sheetrock spackle, are
remarkably strong. If at immediate hand, it can be used as a temporary
step. If one had to go into the garage to get the bucket, pick up the
step ladder instead.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

There is no subtitute for a sturdy ladder. Anything else is asking
for trip to medical. Every homeowner should own a few sizes. Yeah,
I'm guilty of using a chair instead of a step stool, never a 5-gallon
bucket.

Yup, what he said. We have a step-stool in the house, a little folding step
ladder in the garage, a folding fiberglass ladder and one of those gee-whiz
folding aluminum extension ladders similar to the Little Giant--I use them
all. The day when a trip to the hospital was no big deal because I might
meet a cute nurse is no longer an option. I still meet cute nurses when I
go to the hospital, but now they call me "Sir" and ask if I can remember all
my medications.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in
:

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

some plastics get brittle after being in the outdoors environment;
you might step on the bucket and your foot go right thru it,either
immediately or after a few minutes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
Phisherman wrote:

There is no subtitute for a sturdy ladder. Anything else is asking
for trip to medical. Every homeowner should own a few sizes. Yeah,
I'm guilty of using a chair instead of a step stool, never a 5-gallon
bucket.

Yup, what he said. We have a step-stool in the house, a little folding step
ladder in the garage, a folding fiberglass ladder and one of those gee-whiz
folding aluminum extension ladders similar to the Little Giant--I use them
all. The day when a trip to the hospital was no big deal because I might
meet a cute nurse is no longer an option. I still meet cute nurses when I
go to the hospital, but now they call me "Sir" and ask if I can remember all
my medications.

Grin- quickest way to deflate a dirty old man- call him 'sir'.
I did a double take the first few times a hotel clerk or a cop used the
s-word on me. But it didn't hurt until I went to a college dorm one day
to pick up something from a CraigsList deal, and some sweet young thing
thought I was lost and helped me find the guys room. I was getting all
nostalgic for my college days when she went and ruined it by calling me
'sir'....

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:44:01 -0400, Phisherman wrote:
There is no subtitute for a sturdy ladder. Anything else is asking
for trip to medical. Every homeowner should own a few sizes. Yeah,
I'm guilty of using a chair instead of a step stool, never a 5-gallon
bucket.

I'm sure the buckets could be stacked, pyramid-style, to give a variety of
heights

Never tried the bucket trick myself. Old metal-framed chair works for
low-down work, home-made 8' ladder for slightly higher stuff, and the 24'
aluminum extension ladder for anything bigger.

I still can't get to the top of the barn roof, though, and that'd need a
*lot* of buckets ;-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did stand on a chair today, to put the cover back on a
door closer. I'm guilty.

The scouts have some thing they do, with a couple ropes and
hold the bucket to their feet, and walk with them. Looked
like fun.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

I ain't no where even near 6' to start with. And as the movie tile goes,
"White Men Can't Jump". :-)

Guess I would hae needed... a five gallon plastic bucket!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 1:19*am, "Dave" wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Couple of ideas:

1) Use an upturned milk crate, (the ones that hold nine milk cartons)
**, it's about 13 inches square and fairly stable and strong. Do not
try and use two, one on top of t'other!

Afterwards it can be up-righted and used as a caddy to take away the
remains of whatever one was working on.

2) Found a damaged aluminum step ladder. Cut off the top 18 inches or
so, that's one step and the top, drilled and bolted the 'stays' so it
no longer folds, to make a substantial step-stool. Very lightweight,
can be hung on nails on the wall. Fits in trunk of many vehicles, or
back of pickup.

Problem is that my 76 year old knees and ankles now appreciate help
from the arms stepping up (or down) anything. So may add a vertical
post or handle to item #1 as a hand assist. Possibly a bent loop of
Al. conduit, bolted the the base?

** Here where we adopted two litre milk cartons many years ago, the
milk crates are a little smaller than in days of yore. Back then,
before metrication, the milk crates were just the right size to hold
phonograph albums! Ok, ok what's a phonograph ...... ! And some DJs
(Disc jockeys) would arrive at a 'gig' such as a wedding reception
with several heavy boxes of them. IIRC the discs were 13 inches
diameter. These days the DJ just cues up the next tune/song on his
laptop! Or has it all stored on a 'stick' of memory! After sending
this must go and measure a record.

Cheers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

Eh, I'd spring for one of the purpose-built stepstools with the top loop.

I like those, too, as you can actually lean on them to steady yourself, and
they feel solid underneath you. I know they're just meant to steady you,
but some are more substantial than others and the geometry of them is
slightly different. IIRC, a sheetrock friend of mine had one of the most
solid ones, but don't know if it was specifically a rocker's stand or just
one he had.

Steve