Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default How to measure casement window opening?

"aemeijers" wrote in message
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 28, 7:57 am, LouB wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I want to replace a double casement over my sink with a 2 view slider.
I hear that casement openings can be tricky to measure, but mine looks
pretty straight forward.
The window is set back a little over an inch from the front of the
opening and looks to me like when I remove it, I'll have an opening
with four flat sides with some holes where the hardware is mounted.
From what I can see, it looks to me like I should simply measure from
side to side and top to bottom on the interior of the opening.
Am I missing anything? What should I be looking for?
It takes a week (from Tuesday to Tuesday) for my supplier to get a
window, so I guess I could take the existing window out and see what I
really have, then board it up for a week or so until the window comes
in. I know that would work, but I doubt the pros would ever do it that
way.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Visit a HD or Lowes (Or both) there should be info there and even a
book to look at.- Hide quoted text -

I doubt a Home Depot or Lowes would be any help.

Even the window supplier that I am using suggested that perhaps I
should offer a contractor a small fee to measure the window "on his
way home or if he was in the neighborhood" to make sure I got the
measurements right.

The supplier knows me, since I measured for the 12 double hungs (6
different sizes) that I replaced last year and got them all right, so
I pretty sure I know what I'm doing. However, this talk of "casements
windows can be tricky" has me second guessing myself.

Lordy. Pull off the interior trim (you'll have to do this anyway) and
measure the rough opening stud to stud, and sill to header. THAT is the
measurement your window guy needs.

aem sends...

DITTO...BTDT.....