Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Whole house "battery" wiring/power...

On Sep 28, 1:23�pm, Stuart wrote:
In article
,
� �MikeB wrote:

If I am not mistaken, at low (12v) voltages, there is substantial
voltage loss in longer cable runs.

You need lots of copper.

Also, many DC devices operate on other voltages, like 9V, 6V, 19V, 20V,
etc. �There is also not a universal DC power outlet, unless you think of
the car lighter type plug, but I've seen other outlets in airplanes, etc.

Now lets see - there's my torch, my mobile 'phone, my camera, the remote
controls for our TV, VCR, HDD recorder, CD recorder, digibox....

Not sure I want those hard-wired to a central battery -|

The only other battery operated devices I can think of are the smoke and
CO2 alarms. Not worth the effort.

feds should mandate a wall wort standard, the wide variety of them
clogging the landfills is very wasteful. all wall wart devices could
be designed to accept a standard voltage.,....... same for a cell
phone charger standard to cut down on trash