Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike rock Mike rock is offline

Default Using "old-work" hi-hats for new construction

*I agree. *The old work cans are only supported by the drywall unless you
install them next to a beam and drive a screw in. *You would still have
access to the ceiling with new cans. *They are made so that the "Can" can
drop down or be pushed up for access to the junction box. *It is also easier
to lay out the recessed lights when you can see what obstacles will prevent
you from installing a light in a certain area.

I was not aware that you can remove the can on a new work hi-hat. Next
time I go to Lowes I have to check it out.
Basically I need access to the ceiling in case I need to run
something in the future.