Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Older house wiring puzzle

bob haller wrote:

beginning with the 1987 NEC this
wiring method cannot be used in wall or ceiling cavities that have
“loose, filled, or foamed-in-place insulating material that envelops
the conductors.” This effectively means that such cavities cannot be
insulated, because the only method of compliance involves opening all
the walls to install board insulation products, and no contractor is
going to keep this wiring method with the walls open. This rule is
particularly controversial because, to the extent enforced in existing
construction, it is a powerful economic disincentive for owners to
retrofit thermal insulation.3

Again looking at
http://www.waptac.org/sp.asp?id=7190
a report to the Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs -
looking at the record of the code change, it was not based on data
substantiating a actual problems. The report found that many
jurisdictions have modifications to the code prohibition of insulating
where K&T is present.

As I have already pointed out, there is no *data* to support the claim
that the insulation causes a hazard. The chief electrical inspector for
Minneapolis has said insulation was not a problem.

bud I copied and pasted because obviously you are too lazy to click on
links,

Too lazy - I am devastated. (Have you read my sources?)

while you spout dis information it just adds to readers
confusion.

My "dis information" came from state agencies and electrical inspectors.

Two of your sources were apparently home inspectors. Two of your
sources were completely unidentified.

I want to see a knowledgeable electrical industry source, not home
inspector FUD.

rewiring isnt that expensive, when you consider how it increases your
homes value.

In the real world, rewiring to completely eliminate K&T is enormously
expensive.

besides if a homebuyer cant get homeowners insurance its a no
sale...... for nearly every buyer out there.

Where is the insurance casualty *data* that justifies insurance denial.
Still missing.

Just as it was missing when challenged in Maine and the insurance
company "provided no justification for its position that knob and tube
wiring per se automatically provides grounds for nonrenewal".

so the seller must rewire, at that point the rewire must meet all
current safety codes...............

You appear to have no concept of what the NEC requires. A "rewire" only
affects the wiring that is changed. A "rewire" does not require all
wiring in a house conform to the current NEC. You are really a fount of
misinformation.

As I have said, you can "rewire" and leave the existing K&T.

bud you want a 100 more? or a 1000?

just to discredit you i nwill be happy to keep on posting.

Of course, just like a Jehovah's Witness.

Still missing - *data* that supports your claim. Your buddies at State
Farm can't help you?

--
bud--