Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Default convert old compressor tank to portable air storage tank?

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:40:00 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

subject says all, I was given an old air compressor minus the compressor
and motor - would like to use it as a portable compressed air tank.
McMaster-Carr sells schraeder valve to NPT fittings for cheap, but don't
I need some kind of pop off valve to make this legit? Also will a
standard radiator petcock suffice as a drain valve or do I need
something more substantial? I guess my lack of finding the pop off
valve on a quick web search (maybe I'm not using the right keywords?) is
keeping me from hacking this together.

thanks

nate

http://www.tools-plus.com/coilhose-s... m=COISV165-DL

NAPA used to sell a kit with a pop valve, to convert steel refrigerant
tanks to air tanks. When they rust through it starts with a small hole and
the air leaks off. The damn thing is not going to explode. The hole just
lets the air escape. Kept it in the trunk till it leaked.Didn't find
another tank. SO:

I have a large old aluminium LP fuel tank off of a lift truck that I have
converted. Used it for a long time as a pressurized water tank to wash my
hands on the road. Now use it just as an auxiliary air tank on a smaller
compressor with a small tank to help the volume for air tool use.

I kept the NAPA kit and added it to the LP tank using bushings. With the
quick disconnects, I can charge(fill) it with air and through it in the
trunk to help a friend with a spare that is never checked and low when
needed. Or just to run an impact to loosen the lugs on the road.

Go to "horrible freight" online catalog and get quick disconnects and a
short air hose, air chuck, and inflation guage, be done with it.They will
send it in the mail for less than the gas to drive to one if you are
located far from a store.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...pler&Submit=Go
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...uage&Submit=Go

Hope this helps.