Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Mitre tiles round external corner?

Tim W wrote:
Stuart Noble
wibbled on Friday 25 September 2009 13:55

Tile trim. Love it or hate it, it's the only way. You don't want cut
edges on an external corner.
Looks fine as long as you choose the right size for your tile thickness
and get a close match on the colour.

I was considering that - and ordered some. But it turned out too deep (9mm).
That leaves me with getting some 6mm, or trying to be "traditional".

Get the 6mm!! Please! Anything else will look naff in the extreme. Also,
you need that nice smooth round from a practical point of view, and it
*will* be straight.

The thing that I couldn't work out with the trim is what to do with the bit
where we go from the half tiled to half untiled wall.

The lower bit obviously wants the trim to "hang out" so it aligns with the
other tiles round the corner.

The top bit would need the trim to end up aligned with the edge of the
plaster.

I was thinking later that that step might look naff too - possibly more naff
than finishing the edge with grout?...

If that's confusing, I'll do a diagram...

No, I know what you mean. I'd just do it in two sections. They won't
line up vertically, but you don't "see" the trim in the finished job, it
just becomes the edge of the tiles.