Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Linda Barker on Working Lunch

John Rumm wrote:
Andy Cap wrote:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:54:59 GMT, "neverwas"
wrote:
I hope I'm wrong but I don't see any way out of the mess unless and
until we get an electorate which is better educated on such matters.
(So it looks to me a close call whether we'll get there before the
sun goes red giant.)

I'm fascinated by the idea that the electorate can influence *any*
single issue. Our much hyped and self-righteously promoted democracy
is no more than a sham.

Sadly there is much truth in that... The exception seems to be when
the electorate can organise themselves into groups and then apply
pressure. Alas the most common organisation tends to be a
corporation, and then the goals are not always in the best interest
of the electorate at large.

It amazes me how pressure groups can influence Govmint. Green movement is a
prime eample, animal rights another.

The real danger however is the large multinationals who change peoples lives
by extensive PR.

Statins are a prime example, the pharmacutical giants have influenced the
medical profession to the extent that they prescribe billions of pounds
worth of a by & large unproven drug which has unpleasant side effects.

'Five a day', 'drink two litres of water a day' 'twenty units of alcohol a
week'. The list is endless and all based on bad science.

Don't even get me started on the passive smoking bollox. The multinational
pharmacutical giants are making more money from 'giving up' products than
the tobacco companies make from producing the product.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk