Posted to alt.home.repair
warren warren is offline

Default Coleman Powermate low voltage

The generator operates at a constant speed of 3600RPM in order to
produce a 60Hz output.

Under no load the output is about 120VAC. It remains relatively
constant up to about 1100 watts load. After that as the load increases
it drops considerably, down to about 90VAC with a 1300 watt load. It
should be capable of 1500 watts output continuously at 120VAC.

The governor in the engine failed and would have caused it to rev very
high at full throttle. During this time the output voltage would have
gone very high, and possibly caused damage to the diodes and/or the
varistors. These components are on the rotor, and somehow connect with
the field coils. I'm still trying to understand better how a brushless
output generator somewhat self regulates its output voltage.

I've repaired the governor problem, and the engine works well now.
However the next step is to ensure all components on the generator side
are good in order to produce the proper power output.

I've put together a small page showing the repairs.
http://members.rennlist.org/warren/1850.html