Conan the Librarian

Default Can you describe your sharpening station?

Charles Krug wrote in message ...

Pretty much it. What do you use to sharpen and how do you have it
arranged.

I use my old w*rkm*tt as my sharpening station. I added an extra
top of a quarter-sheet of 3/4 plycut in half and laminated to give
extra surface area and stability. On top of that I keep three granite
surface plates with various grits of PSA-backed lapping and
microfinishing film.

The honing plate has 15, 5 and 0.5 micron strips on it. The next
one has 30, 60 and 80 micron. I usually keep a full sheet of coarse
grit on the last plate, and use that for lapping soles or backs of
irons, etc.

I have the Veritas jig and the Eclipse (side clamp) style on the
bench, even though I usually hone freehanded. I also have various
slipstones and dowels wrapped with paper for my carving tools. I
store those in a bin next to the bench along with my extra sheets of
paper.

I have found that having a dedicated station is a huge plus.
Previously I would have to clear my bench, break out the plates,
sharpen and then clean up, store the stuff, etc. before I could get
back to work. Now I simply walk over to the bench, give a plane iron
or chisel a few swipes to touch up the edge and I'm back at it. It's
also a good idea to keep the swarf away from your regular bench.
DAMHIKT.

Chuck Vance