Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wozzit called?

Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article p.hx,
Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:
According to the Oxford English Dictionary (and what I know of my
native tongue :-)) the "pod" bit comes from the Greek for foot.

I'd guessed it might mean that in some languages. But pod has meant a
container in English for some time - seed pod etc.

OK, so if oed is anything to go by, tripod as a three-legged vessel is
quoted in 1370. The earliest quote of pd as a seed-bearing fruit appears
to be in 1553.

Kostas

However, remember that those that wrote, used mainly latin to write in,
and the courtly language was Norman French. Germanic languages don't
appear in English writing before Chaucer really.

You probably wont find a written example of 'pig' much before that date
either.