Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Lidl Offers FYI

Jules wrote:

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:44:22 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:
You can cut compound bevels - which are at an angle to the axes of
the wood in two different planes. Firstly, you can rotate the
cutting assembly through +/- 45 degrees in plan view - which *all*
mitre saws can do. *Then* you can tilt the blade about a horizontal
axis. [The text calls one of these "miter" (sic) and the other
"bevel" - and defines the max cutting capacity for various
combinations of these].

That's one downside with mine - I can only tilt the blade between 0
and +45 degrees, not -45 to +45 degrees (it'll still do +/-45 in
'plan' view, of course). Every once in a while it's a bit of a minor
inconvenience (I've got enough bench to handle about 8' either side
of the saw, but of course it doesn't mean it's not bench that's often
cluttered with crap on one side :-)

Maybe they're always like that though - but if not it's a little
niggle I'd try to avoid next time I go to purchase one.

cheers

Jules

Dunno - haven't studied them in great detail. Presumably the blade tilts in
a way which raises the motor? The thought occurred to me that if the motor
tilted downwards, it might foul on the workpiece.

As you say, you can achieve the desired effect by turning the workpiece
round, but that might not always be convenient. Anyone know whether there
are any saws out there which *do* tilt both ways?

Having said all that, I can't think of too many occasions when I'd want both
tilt and turn at the same time. Nevertheless, the tilt function on its own
would be needed for cutting mitres on skirting board etc. - and it would be
useful if the saw could be tilted both ways.
--
Cheers,
Roger