Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Wozzit called?

OG wrote:
"Ian White" wrote in message
TheScullster wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Three poles in a triangle, one longer that the other two, used with a
block & tackle attached to the longer one?

Its on the tip of my tongue!

sheerlegs?
Apparently spelt shear legs.
Not quite sure why, when the legs are in compression!
See http://www.hss.com/g/69310/500kg-Shearlegs.html for details.
The word originally comes from "sheer" = steep.

"Shearlegs" is simply a spelling error. Since it's a common one, the
dictionaries feel obliged to record it (as they also record "sheering"
sheep) but being in a dictionary don't make it right.

'Sheer=steep' - really?
I'd have thought the term 'a sheer drop' would follow the OED etymology
where comes from a root meaning 'pure, clear, unbroken'.

Pure clear unbroken 90 degrees to the horizontal.

Maybe, but the angle has (probably) nothing to do with the etymology.

The OED has the wozzit spelled 'shear-legs', probably from the way that
the components are joined like scissors/shears.

But they are not joined like that.

I wouldn't know, I've never used a modern one. Nor an ancient one for that
matter.