Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob G[_3_] Rob G[_3_] is offline

Default Wozzit called?

On 23 Sep, 07:55, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Three poles in a triangle, one longer that the other two, used with
a block & tackle attached to the longer one?

Its on the tip of my tongue!

sheerlegs?

Thats it! *Well done that man & thank you!

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Well I don't think that's right - sheers are two poles lashed together
for straight lifting from a quay or the likes (like a derrick),
shearlegs according to the HSS link given below and other sources,
have three equal legs and the lift is central, but a gyn has one
longer leg which is how MDH describes his quest, with the pulley on
the end of the longer arm.

Having said that, this is the result of doing a bit of searching and I
wouldn't have known this before. As shear legs are more likely to be
still of use nowadays, and gyns is an old fashioned word, I wonder if
shear legs incorrectly describes them both now.

Rob