Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unhappy builder

Tim W wrote:
The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Tuesday 22 September 2009 19:15

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message k...
ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going
to some independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension, if the de-roofed bit
is the extension.

What happened to the builder who demolished the unpaid
for porch last year?

He set up his own website.

http://roguecustomer.com/

About time too.

Do you have many? (Rogue customers). Real rogues as opposed to
slightly awkward, cheap or otherwise a bit random?

No real rouges - awkward, cheap and random yes.

What ****es me off are people who try to take advantage.

Typical call of its type, seems always to be a female of one ethnic origin;

Caller; How much would it be to do x, y &z?
TMH; £65.
Caller; Can't you do it for £50?
TMH; No, if I wanted to charge £50 I would have said £50.
Caller; Go on, you must be able to do it for £50.
TMH; Meet me at Tesco and I'll do £65 worth of shopping - if you can get
them to reduce it to £50, I'll do your jobs for £50.

I can't be arsed with them anymore.

The other type, again of a certain ethnic origin, give a list of jobs. I
might quote one days work for example, 'depending on what I find when I
start, but I'll complete as many as possible'.

Last time it happened I was changing some basin taps amongst other things.
Turned hot & cold water off, fitted taps, turned on cold, tried to turn on
hot, poxy gate valve failed in the off position. Nobodys fault, ****
happens.

Explained what had happened to client, off to Wickes for gate valve. Unable
to drain tank, rubber bungs in holes, large dust sheet, wet vac - did the
job live & got a little wet. Took a couple of hours.

Stayed on for an extra hour at no extra charge & finished all the jobs but
one - customer moaned like crazy and next day complained to Trading
Standards that I had charged her for a list of jobs & not finished them all.

No mention of her duff plumbing or the extra free hour of course.

98% are fine, reasonable nice people.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk