Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Cutting bottom off steel window frames in-situ

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

My problem is that cutting the frame by hand took over an hour - and
the rest of the week for my hand to recover.

I was thinking of buying a reciprocating saw but I would need one with
a long and quite thin blade.

8" blades are commonly available - and unlike a hand hack saw do not
require the saw frame to support it at the far end.

The favoured tool for window frame removers everywhere! ;-)

Can anyone advise me if this would be is a good idea and if so suggest
a suitable saw, or suggest other ways of doing it.

Go for one that takes generic blades rather than a proprietary one. Avoid
things like the B&D piranah.

More info:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/recipsaw.htm

You could probably also do a more delicate, if slower, job with the Fein or
Bosch multimaster thingy