Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl Offers FYI

T i m wrote:
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 23:20:20 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

On mine I also have:

Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

That was SCMS (sliding compound mitre saw).

Is there a difference between that and a 'Cut off / chop saw' and if
so what please?

The cutting width & depth of a mitre (cut off/chop saw) is limited by the
blade size as they only cut downwards.

A sliding mitre saw has rails so the blade can move down & then
forwards/backwards. Assuming both have a 210mm dia blade the CMS would cut
160mm x 60mm wheras a SCMS would cut 200mm x 65mm.

SNIP

Reading the description of the above it doesn't appear to mention what
material(s) it's designed / suitable for, other than the mention of
the 'universal saw blade. So does that mean it can cut anything
(within reason) or does any fool know that it's just for wood?

I'd say just wood, although most TCT blades will handle alluminium OK.

ie, Say I had several lengths of 50 x 50 x 5mm steel box I wanted to
cut ...

You can buy SCMS which will do that
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/29848/...Mitre-Saw-230V

No idea how long the 'universal blade' would last or what they cost though -
get the feeling they may be expensive..

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk