Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl Offers FYI

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:43:36 +0100, T i m wrote:

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

On mine I also have:

Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

Looks like the variable Lidl offers strikes again, you have two mitre
saws available a SMS one and SCMS one?

Pretty sure the mitre saw up here (Carlisle) is not a compound one.
It's not described as such, just a SMS, and the picture doesn't look
to have the required dual axis of movement for a SCMS.

Is there a difference between that and a 'Cut off / chop saw' and if
so what please?

Yes, on a sliding saw the blade/motor unit slides front/back. This
enables longer cuts to be made. Without the slide action you have a
cutoff/chop saw and limited by the blade size in both depth and
lenght of cut.

other than the mention of the 'universal saw blade. So does that mean it
can cut anything (within reason) or does any fool know that it's just
for wood?

Soft stuff but not really metals.

ie, Say I had several lengths of 50 x 50 x 5mm steel box I wanted to
cut ...

Angle grinder, hack saw (powered).

--
Cheers