Posted to rec.woodworking
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Yellow glue or ??? for Adirondack chair?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:46:53 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Prof Wonmug" wrote:

I do have one more question.

While I was repairing the broken arm, I noticed that almost every
joint is loose. I am wondering if there is any PM I can do sush as
trying to inject some epoxy into some of the loose joints to
reinforce
them.

The problem is that while they are loose, there is not much space.
I'm
thinking that about as likely to make it harder to repair when it
does
eventually give way.

I think my best bet it to leave it alone and deal with any breakage
as
it happens.

You indicated that this chair is held together with fasteners.

One approach would be to get #10-#12 coarse threaded pan head
stainless steel self tapping sheet metal screws and replace old
fasteners one for one.

Self tapping sheet metal screws do well in soft woods like redwood.

It is held together with standard wood screws, countersunk, and
plugged. I would have to drill out the plugs, remove the screws (that
part would be easy, I imagine), reattach with the new screws, and then
make new plugs. That sounds like a lot of work.