Tom Watson

Default Can you describe your sharpening station?

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:01:49 GMT, Charles Krug
wrote:

Pretty much it. What do you use to sharpen and how do you have it
arranged. I've a couple of Arkansas in boxes that I mostly keep on a
shelf. I imagine a reasonably flat surface and a piece of plate glass
are Coming Soon, so I'm looking for ideas that others have found useful.

SWMBO tells me there's a package from Garrett-Wade on the front porch.
Likely there's a thing or two in there that needs sharpening, just a
guess.

I'm planning on starting her coffee table over Thanksgiving. I'm going
to practice the M&T technique described by Tage Frid in the "FWW on
Joinery," for the next couple weeks on my astonishingly large scrap
piles.

Meanwhile . . . to sharpen a rock . . .

I've a roll-around table with a laminate top.

It has a low-speed six inch grinder on it with one white wheel and one
buffing wheel.

It has a POS Delta Sharpening Station with a wet wheel and a dry
wheel.

There are four Japanese Water Stones, 800, 1200, S-1, G-1.

There are four diamond rasps for carbide.

There is a piece of 3/4" plate glass and a collection of wet/dry
sandpaper, up to grits that are measured in microns.

How do I deal with a nicked chisel?

I turn the belt sander upside down and take the nick out.

Followed by a cursory wipe on the 800 and 1200 grit stones.

(sad but true)

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania