B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Default Can you describe your sharpening station?

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:01:49 GMT, Charles Krug
wrote:

Pretty much it. What do you use to sharpen and how do you have it
arranged.

My sharpening station is in pieces under my workbench.

It consists of:

A variable speed electric grinder & Veritas tool rest.
(5) glass strips attached to MDF (220-320-400-600-1200 3M wet/dry
paper) for flattening the backs of things
(2) double sided diamond plates (XC-C-F-XF) for scraper edges
A mill file & Veritas file fence (scrapers)
Veritas burnishing tool (scrapers)
Water stones in water - 800-1200-2000-4000 (chisels, plane irons,
etc...)
Veritas sharpening guide (chisels, plane irons, etc...)
General sharpening guide. (chisels, plane irons, etc...)
Water stone flattening materials
WD-40 or kerosene (Sandpaper lube)
3M77 (sandpaper glue)

As the water stones wear out, I'm moving toward Shapton's stones as
replacements. You could use the sandpaper for actual sharpening, but
I find it a PITA to keep replacing paper. So, I do the backs on the
sandpaper, and the fronts on stones. I don't find the stones flat
enough for backs.

Barry