Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula Hugo Nebula is offline

Default Internal wall insulation

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 01:46:23 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, David J
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I've got a detached house with an integral unheated garage, built in
1997 with the insulation standards of that time. The garage door is
up/over with considerable gaps, so that in winter the garage interior
is notg much warmer than the outside air.

All the interior walls in the garage are made of a thermal block
material, but I am unsure if there is also an insulated cavity on the
house side. I suspect not, as it is probably considered to be an
internal wall.

The 'garage side' walls of all the house rooms adjoining the garage
are noticeabily colder in winter, and I am wondering if it would make
sense to clad the garage/house wall with some form of insulation on
the garage side.

For the thermal insulation requirements of the Building Regulations,
any wall between a heated and an unheated space should be insulated.
There is a small insulation value for the still air within the garage,
but the insulation of the wall between the two is usually the same as
for an external wall.

That is of course no guarantee that the walls have been insulated
properly.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"