Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jonesst2608@googlemail.com is offline

Default Cutting bottom off steel window frames in-situ

Hi,

I have a house full of steal window frames that have badly corroded
bottom sections.

I've repaired one by drilling through the surrounding wooden fame on
the lower corners and then cutting upwards using a hacksaw blade. I
then replaced the bottom section with teak strip & isopon. After
painting it looks great.

My problem is that cutting the frame by hand took over an hour - and
the rest of the week for my hand to recover.

I was thinking of buying a reciprocating saw but I would need one with
a long and quite thin blade.

Can anyone advise me if this would be is a good idea and if so suggest
a suitable saw, or suggest other ways of doing it.

Thanks Steve.