Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default OTish; When does a step become a deck.

tim..... wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above the
'ground' needs planning permission.

I've been communicating with my local authority, who clearly don't
understand the (prolly badly drawn) legislation.

Very common situation with new builds or extensions is that the patio
doors opening onto the garden are say 45cm above the garden level,
therefore pretty much unusable.

What I'm after is the definition of a 'deck' and 'ground'.

If I were to build a step 15cm high leading onto a deck, how big or little
would that step have to be before it became a 'deck'?

If I built a deck over 30 cm high and built a raised bed level with the
edge, how big does that have to be to be classified as 'ground'?

I doubt very much that raising the level of the ground outside the decked
area is a loop-hole here.

I wouldn't look at it as a loop hole, more like landscaping the garden.
That has never been illegal.

Dave