Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The new guttering and soffits - update

I invited comment on how these are fixed and etc. a couple of weeks
ago.

Just to remind - at the moment we have the present guttering bracketed
directly onto the bare ends of the roof timbers.

We had a very nice man from a trade supplier call in and draw up a list
of what he thought was needed to complete the job, to match next doors
which had already been done. The bits were ordered to his list and
delivered the very next day £151 to do both front and back of the main
house roof.

An L shaped about 7mm thick solid plastic is used for the vertical,
this is simply nailed onto the face of the beam using plastic capped
stainless steel nails specially made for the job. Our timber ends are
perfectly level at faces, so one size of spacer is good for all.
Spacers made from two layers of 8mm (to make 16mm) exterior grade ply
tacked onto the faces.

Next the guttering brackets are fitted, with a fall down to the down
spout.

The horizontal fill-in strip along the bottom (which a lighter double
skinned material), sits on the bottom lip of the L shaped vertical as
support for its outer edge and the correct way to support the edge
nearest the wall is using either a timber batten or a U shaped plastic
channel fixed to the wall - however I notice that most/all of the
nearby houses which have had this done, seem to have had the wall edge
simply stuck with silicon. This strip has to be cut along its length to
fit the gap.

I would guess the wall edge has been simply supported with nails
temporarily, whilst the silicon is allowed to set, then the nails
removed. I'm not sure I would be happy doing this?

Ventilation is supposed to be provided in the horizontal surface, our
supplier suggested at least four vents be installed, to prevent rot of
the timber, but I noticed many other houses with none at all fitted.

None of this has been done yet, the task (weather permitting) is to
start next weekend - just working out the details in my head at the
moment.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)