Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish; When does a step become a deck.

tim..... wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
On 20 Sep, 17:49, "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Clint Sharp wrote:
Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above
the 'ground' needs planning permission.
Ho ********, I *wish* you hadn't posted that.
Do I assume you have just built one then ?

Is the wood datestamped or could it be passed off as having been
built in September 08?

You "only" have to wait two years before the council can do nothing
about it anyway (provided that you haven't hidden it from view)

I can't imagine that anyone is going to notice a deck that is, say,
60 cm off the ground, and complain, so the regulation seems entirely
pointless for low level decks. (and what is the point of it anyway?)

The only point I can see is that, if you are over 30cm up you might be able
to see over your fence & intrude on your neighbours privacy. I mention this
when quoting if appropriate and usually get the extra work of installing
trellis :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk