Tim Douglass

Default How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall)

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:53:35 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
t wrote:

As an example - I built a simple bookshelf for my office - birch ply and a
face frame, dadoed and rabbeted and glued. I used a french cleat with four
screws, two per stud, and used two more screws (#10 x 3) to secure the
bottom. To test, I did a couple of chinups on the shelf. I weigh almost
290 lb. It held. Do it this way and you won't have to worry about any
normal amount of weight.

What amazes me, Jon, is not that the shelf held 290 lbs, but that you,
weighing 290 lbs, are able to do a couple of chin ups. I'm only 275
and anything involving lifting my body weight has been out of the
question for years.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com