Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Yellow glue or ??? for Adirondack chair?

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:08:03 -0700, Prof Wonmug wrote:

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 23:30:50 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Prof Wonmug" wrote:

Is that 1 oart alcohol to 19 parts epoxy? In other words, just a
small
amount of alcohol?

Just a smell.

I just eyeball it, it's not critical, anything from 4%-6%.

I put two ribbons of epoxy in a dish, mixed a bit, and added a splash
of denatured alcohol. As far as I could tell, this did not affect the
epoxy mixture at all. It was just as thick as before.

I applied one coat to the two pieces. as far as I could tell, it did
not penetrate at all. It certainly did not disappear.

Now, I am reluctant to apply 2-3 coats of fear of getting too much
build-up and losing the nice fit from the clean (ragged) break.

I think I'll just apply it full strength and clamp.

Epoxy putty is different from epoxy resin.Epoxy resin CAN be thinned
with alcohol or acetone but the ultimate strength can be compromised.
Don't think you can thin epoxy putty very easily, but I could be
wrong.