Posted to alt.home.repair
gwandsh gwandsh is offline

Default Substitute for outdoor garbage can lid

On Sep 14, 8:46*am, mm wrote:
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 06:53:35 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

mm wrote:

For once I was went out just an hour after my garbage was collected,
and no one was out there, and yet this was the day my lid disappeared.

I've waited a week for it to return, but I don't think it knows the
way.

I want to make a substitute.

I'm a big spender, so I'd probably pick up a new lid at the hardware
store for $5 next time I was there.

If I could buy a lid by itself, I would gladly do it, but if I bought
a lid, it would come with a can and then I'd have two cans and one
lid.

Or maybe pick this as a time
to upgrade my trash can and relegate the old one to new duties.
[carting leaves, holding water while I mix concrete, etc.]

This one is like new.

-snip-
BUT, WHAT ABOUT MICE???? * *Will they go right through the fabrics I
have in mind.

Probably not as they'd have to scale a slick surface 50 times as tall
as they are.

That's a good point. * This is about the only thing you've agreed with
me on, but this is the most important. * It is slick too, more so even
than other materials used.

I especially wanted to use the blue polypropylene?
woven tarp material because I have scraps of that the right size.

That would look too classy and folks would always be stealing it on
you.

Maybe. *I was for some reason thinking of taking it off before I took
out the trash anyhow. *I guess because someone took the last lid.
It's against the rules but some people do it, and I could make sure
there was nothing on top that would blow off, which is the reason for
the rule.

What about vinyl window screen, or aluminum window screen. *Those
won't suppress smells, but even the garbage rarely smells much for
more than a day or two, and I have no neighbor for the next 4 months
or more, and then it will be cold. *

It would also let the rain in which could make the can a little heavy.

I have an overhang where I keep this can, and it doesn't get wet.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

I am pretty sure both Lowes and Home Despot have stacks of lids-only.
Get one and use a big marker to put you street address on it.
In our neighborhood, we need to use (indentical) supplied garbage and
recycling containers. Everybody has theirs marked with their street
number.