Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Substitute for outdoor garbage can lid

For once I was went out just an hour after my garbage was collected,
and no one was out there, and yet this was the day my lid disappeared.

I've waited a week for it to return, but I don't think it knows the
way.

I want to make a substitute. For a previous plstic can, I just made a
lid out of T1-11, and it's pretty good when I set in the right place.
I might even put little brackets on it to keep the lid in place.

I have more t1-11, but this can is thinner and it doesn't seem
appropriate. So I thought of some material, the blue woven tarps, or
a piece of canvas, or some other fabric, or part of my old convertible
top (which I'm saving for something more important). I would sew a
hem around the whole edge, with a bungy cord inside. I already have
the cord. It should take about 20 minutes total, maybe less, since
the sewing machine is out right now.

BUT, WHAT ABOUT MICE???? Will they go right through the fabrics I
have in mind. I especially wanted to use the blue polypropylene?
woven tarp material because I have scraps of that the right size.
What about vinyl window screen, or aluminum window screen. Those
won't suppress smells, but even the garbage rarely smells much for
more than a day or two, and I have no neighbor for the next 4 months
or more, and then it will be cold. But the mice have better smellers.

But will the mouse chew through aluminum screen? I could even make
it two layers, plastic to keep the smell in, and window screen to keep
the moouse out.

Thanks for any helpful replies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

For once I was went out just an hour after my garbage was collected,
and no one was out there, and yet this was the day my lid disappeared.

I've waited a week for it to return, but I don't think it knows the
way.

I want to make a substitute.

I'm a big spender, so I'd probably pick up a new lid at the hardware
store for $5 next time I was there. Or maybe pick this as a time
to upgrade my trash can and relegate the old one to new duties.
[carting leaves, holding water while I mix concrete, etc.]

-snip-
BUT, WHAT ABOUT MICE???? Will they go right through the fabrics I
have in mind.

Probably not as they'd have to scale a slick surface 50 times as tall
as they are.

I especially wanted to use the blue polypropylene?
woven tarp material because I have scraps of that the right size.

That would look too classy and folks would always be stealing it on
you.

What about vinyl window screen, or aluminum window screen. Those
won't suppress smells, but even the garbage rarely smells much for
more than a day or two, and I have no neighbor for the next 4 months
or more, and then it will be cold.

It would also let the rain in which could make the can a little heavy.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 06:53:35 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

mm wrote:

For once I was went out just an hour after my garbage was collected,
and no one was out there, and yet this was the day my lid disappeared.

I've waited a week for it to return, but I don't think it knows the
way.

I want to make a substitute.

I'm a big spender, so I'd probably pick up a new lid at the hardware
store for $5 next time I was there.

If I could buy a lid by itself, I would gladly do it, but if I bought
a lid, it would come with a can and then I'd have two cans and one
lid.

Or maybe pick this as a time
to upgrade my trash can and relegate the old one to new duties.
[carting leaves, holding water while I mix concrete, etc.]

This one is like new.

-snip-
BUT, WHAT ABOUT MICE???? Will they go right through the fabrics I
have in mind.

Probably not as they'd have to scale a slick surface 50 times as tall
as they are.

That's a good point. This is about the only thing you've agreed with
me on, but this is the most important. It is slick too, more so even
than other materials used.

I especially wanted to use the blue polypropylene?
woven tarp material because I have scraps of that the right size.

That would look too classy and folks would always be stealing it on
you.

Maybe. I was for some reason thinking of taking it off before I took
out the trash anyhow. I guess because someone took the last lid.
It's against the rules but some people do it, and I could make sure
there was nothing on top that would blow off, which is the reason for
the rule.

What about vinyl window screen, or aluminum window screen. Those
won't suppress smells, but even the garbage rarely smells much for
more than a day or two, and I have no neighbor for the next 4 months
or more, and then it will be cold.

It would also let the rain in which could make the can a little heavy.

I have an overhang where I keep this can, and it doesn't get wet.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

If I could buy a lid by itself, I would gladly do it, but if I bought
a lid, it would come with a can and then I'd have two cans and one
lid.

Are you sure? Have you actually called or visited your local stores to
verify that?

This could be one of those situations where you cash in one of your
karma chips and swipe someone else's lid at 2 a.m., from at least a mile
away of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Make and form a lid from hardware cloth. Buy some plasticized fabric,
sew or glue a strap to the center of round piece of fabric for a handle.
Use hot-melt glue to fasten fabric to the h.c. form, being sure to wrap
bottom edge and turn it up like a hem. Use permanent marker to put yer
name and address on it. If plasticized fabric is too lavish, just use
some heavy cotton, canvas or old plastic tarp. You can pretty much
waterproof any heavy fabric - just tack it down, brush on some primer,
dry, two coats paint. (That's pretty much what Michelanglo did )
Make a couple of spares for potential loss, or to sell at next garage
sale. If you have a crafty spouse, she might want to decorate them with
some cute thing, like ducks or hearts (or a very realistic rat). Add a
rope tied to a brick so when the trash collector heaves the cover, it
doesn't blow away )

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:49:11 -0400, "
wrote:

Thanks for any helpful replies.

Make and form a lid from hardware cloth. Buy some plasticized fabric,
sew or glue a strap to the center of round piece of fabric for a handle.
Use hot-melt glue to fasten fabric to the h.c. form, being sure to wrap
bottom edge and turn it up like a hem. Use permanent marker to put yer
name and address on it. If plasticized fabric is too lavish, just use
some heavy cotton, canvas or old plastic tarp. You can pretty much
waterproof any heavy fabric - just tack it down, brush on some primer,
dry, two coats paint. (That's pretty much what Michelanglo did )

That's me!

Make a couple of spares for potential loss, or to sell at next garage
sale. If you have a crafty spouse, she might want to decorate them with
some cute thing, like ducks or hearts

That's not my style.

(or a very realistic rat).

That's the kind of girl I want.

Add a
rope tied to a brick so when the trash collector heaves the cover, it
doesn't blow away )

Good idea. Although it wasn't windy the day mine disappeared. The
only place I can imagine that it went was down the storm drain,
although I thought it was too tall for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:26:37 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

If I could buy a lid by itself, I would gladly do it, but if I bought
a lid, it would come with a can and then I'd have two cans and one
lid.

Are you sure? Have you actually called or visited your local stores to
verify that?

No. I'm pretty sure they won't sell them separately, but no. Okay,
I'll check.

This could be one of those situations where you cash in one of your
karma chips and swipe someone else's lid at 2 a.m., from at least a mile
away of course.

Wait a second. A few seconds ago, I was buying one at a store. I
don't think I have any karm chips that lete me swipe one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

-snip-

If I could buy a lid by itself, I would gladly do it, but if I bought
a lid, it would come with a can and then I'd have two cans and one
lid.

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...arbage+can+lid

First hit- $6.20 from your friendly Ace Hardware Store.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 12:12*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Turn the can over. No lid required.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 9:12*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Forget the lid. When you set out your garbage, tape or tie off the
outer liner bag.

I haven't used the lid outdoor in years. No problems yet. Nothing to
lose or replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 12:12*am, mm wrote:
[...]

My waste hauler supplies big roller cans that the truck lifts and
dumps automatically - no charge 'cuz it easier/faster for them.

The hinged lid stays permanantly attached.

Have you asked your hauler about that option?
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
Thanks for any helpful replies.

My waste hauler supplies big roller cans that the truck lifts and
dumps automatically - no charge 'cuz it easier/faster for them.

We have those....hubby had to chase one down the street in a hurricane
and drag it back against the wind. Very heavy.

The hinged lid stays permanantly attached.

Have you asked your hauler about that option?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:04:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

My waste hauler supplies big roller cans that the truck lifts and
dumps automatically - no charge 'cuz it easier/faster for them.

The hinged lid stays permanantly attached.

Have you asked your hauler about that option?

I can tell by looking, it's not an option. When they have that,
don't they insist that everyone use it? In fact, don't they get rid
of everyone except the truck driver, who doesn't have to get out of
the truck. Here the county collects the garbage and they have 2 or 3
guys in addition to the driver, who walk along in my townhouse n'hood,
and probably hang on to the truck when they go any distance without
houses. There would be short distances like that, but no long ones I
think, except to and from the garbage depot. Maybe all four can fit
in the front seat?? I'll have to pay attention.

I made a point to put my garbage out close to the street, on this
corner area that is right next to the road, to make it easier for
them. Now everyone near me does that, so they don't have to carry the
stuff from the curb the length of a car parking spot. But they still
go past it and then back up to be as close as possible to 3 or 4
houses' trash.

DerbyDad, as to putting the can upside down, I tried that just now,
and I have to crawl on the ground to put something inside. I'm not
sure it will work.

Mike, the truth is I haven't used bags for years. They don't want us
using bags, or even cans with bags but no lids, I thought because the
mice would get at it in the days before it's put out. When it's out,
I've noticed seagulls, I think I saw, pecking through the bags. (This
is Baltimore, which is 60 miles from the sea! But there are flocks of
30 or 50 birds at a lot of big parking lots. Maybe they only come
here on garbage day. )

Of course, maybe if the bags are well sealed, the mice and birds can't
tell what's inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 2:18*pm, mm wrote:

Mike, the truth is I haven't used bags for years. *They don't want us
using bags, or even cans with bags but no lids, I thought because the
mice would get at it in the days before it's put out. *When it's out,
I've noticed seagulls, I think I saw, pecking through the bags. *(This
is Baltimore, which is 60 miles from the sea! *But there are flocks of
30 or 50 birds at a lot of big parking lots. *Maybe they only come
here on garbage day. )

Of course, maybe if the bags are well sealed, the mice and birds can't
tell what's inside.

No bags allowed? No wonder you have such a stink problem! You must
have to hose out your cans pretty regularly!

I have birds around in the form of crows. As long is the bag is
closed, they don't bother it. Mice can't jump very high (~12"). I
wouldn't be suprised if garbage cans are the height they are just to
keep rats from jumping in.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:29:02 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

mm wrote:

-snip-

If I could buy a lid by itself, I would gladly do it, but if I bought
a lid, it would come with a can and then I'd have two cans and one
lid.

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...arbage+can+lid

First hit- $6.20 from your friendly Ace Hardware Store.

I'm glad I asked and I'm glad you and Smitty posted. Because I had
time today to make the lid -- I even got out the scraps, washed them
with the garden hose (since I was watering a little bit of sod anyhow)
and decide which scrap was the right size (the smaller one).
Yesterday, I went to a surplus store and bought a box of 14 bungee
cords, including some long one, and some attachments, for 10 dollars.
So all I had to do was cut it out, find some blue thread, take the
junk off the sewing machine, and eew. But maybe now I won't have to.

I got to tell you, it never occurred to me until I read Smitty's
answer that it was possible to buy a lid without a can. Although it
makes sense since lids get lost a lot more than most other things.

And even then it never occurred to me that I could google for them. I
figured you had to go to the store and ask someone, probably by
whispering.

Everytime I've been to the store, I see a stack of cans and a stack of
lits, and I always figure there is the same number of each, and they
will only sell it that way.

I've also never used the Products category of google. I didn't even
know about it. It's not under More. You have to go to Even More. I
didn't even know about Even More! (Because I rarely look in more. I
have a shortcut, whatever, for searching google groups.)

Live and learn. Thanks.

I didn't mention that my can is rectangular, and adding that word
didn't enable me to find it.

The brand is not obvious, but I'm going to go downstairs and hunt for
it, and make it a seach or "Refine product results" term.

Thanks again.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:26:10 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

On Sep 14, 2:18*pm, mm wrote:

Mike, the truth is I haven't used bags for years. *They don't want us
using bags, or even cans with bags but no lids, I thought because the
mice would get at it in the days before it's put out. *When it's out,
I've noticed seagulls, I think I saw, pecking through the bags. *(This
is Baltimore, which is 60 miles from the sea! *But there are flocks of
30 or 50 birds at a lot of big parking lots. *Maybe they only come
here on garbage day. )

Of course, maybe if the bags are well sealed, the mice and birds can't
tell what's inside.

No bags allowed?

They're allowed, but we're still supposed to have lids.

No wonder you have such a stink problem!

We don't have a stink problem.

You must
have to hose out your cans pretty regularly!

I throw almost nothing that is wet into it, and if I do have something
that could rot, I put that only in a plastic grocery bag. The can
does get dirty, but not much, and it dries.

I have birds around in the form of crows.

Maybe I meant crows. I havent' noticed them lately, so I forget what
they were. The parking lots definitely have seagulls.

As long is the bag is
closed, they don't bother it. Mice can't jump very high (~12"). I
wouldn't be suprised if garbage cans are the height they are just to
keep rats from jumping in.

Maybe mice aren't a problem. I live next to a stream, with a sewer
following the path of the stream, and there was once a rat in the
front yard. He was tough. I threw shoes at him but he didn't move.
Then I had no shoes.

And I couldn't go to work without my shoes.

I missed him with the shoes, and I think I went back inside for a few
minutes and when I came out, he was gone and I got my shoes. I don't
think he got into the garbage. It's just that I assume the whole
design is to keep out rats., maybe including the height like you say.
In 1970, when I hitchhiked to Costa Rica, a friend's mother let me put
all my stuff in her basement. I bought a galvanized garbage can or
two, and put the clothes in them, so the mice wouldn't bother my
stuff. She probably had no mice. It just occurs to me now, 40 years
later, that I might have offended her. I think I gave her the can
six months later.

It was a raccoon that oncce got in the garbage can, but that was more
than 10 years ago, and I probablay didn't put the lid on well, just
laid it on top. He was something though. I took flash pictures of
him, but the flashes didn't make him move.

Rodents are tough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
On Sep 13, 9:12 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Bags? Who uses bags in a garbage can? (Only halfway kidding)

As cheap as garbage cans are, OP is spending more time on this than it
is worth. (IMHO, of course.) For the replacement, I suggest a wheeled
square can with an attached lid. Use the old can for yard waste or
something, where it doesn't matter if it is covered.

BTW, anyone ever tried to throw away a garbage can? (like a rusted out
metal one, or a cracked and broken plastic one.) I found you have to
mash it up and put it inside a garbage bag before they will take it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 3:39*pm, aemeijers wrote:
mike wrote:
On Sep 13, 9:12 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I tell ya... if you ever have bad curry sauce or bad sourdough starter
that you need to discard, you cannot have enough bags! Wheh! Makes
baby diapers mixed with vomit seem appealing by comparison.

When I need to throw away a garbage can, I just put a sign on it that
say "TAKE THE TRASH CAN --thanks". They take it. Maybe their just
nice. Maybe they appreciate the stink being contained inside a
bag.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
mm wrote:

If I could buy a lid by itself, I would gladly do it, but if I
bought a lid, it would come with a can and then I'd have two cans
and one lid.

Are you sure? Have you actually called or visited your local stores
to verify that?

No. I'm pretty sure they won't sell them separately, but no. Okay,
I'll check.

This could be one of those situations where you cash in one of your
karma chips and swipe someone else's lid at 2 a.m., from at least a
mile away of course.

Wait a second. A few seconds ago, I was buying one at a store. I
don't think I have any karm chips that lete me swipe one.

I bought just a lid at a local store once. The clerk said she thought it
would be okay, asked a manager, and he said it was no problem, and that they
do occasionally sell the lids without the cans.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

BTW, anyone ever tried to throw away a garbage can? (like a rusted out
metal one, or a cracked and broken plastic one.) I found you have to mash
it up and put it inside a garbage bag before they will take it.

--
aem sends

I can attest to this being quite a chore. A take this can note even failed
to work more than once.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:11:40 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

mm wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
mm wrote:

If I could buy a lid by itself, I would gladly do it, but if I
bought a lid, it would come with a can and then I'd have two cans
and one lid.

Are you sure? Have you actually called or visited your local stores
to verify that?

No. I'm pretty sure they won't sell them separately, but no. Okay,
I'll check.

This could be one of those situations where you cash in one of your
karma chips and swipe someone else's lid at 2 a.m., from at least a
mile away of course.

Wait a second. A few seconds ago, I was buying one at a store. I
don't think I have any karm chips that lete me swipe one.

I bought just a lid at a local store once. The clerk said she thought it
would be okay, asked a manager, and he said it was no problem, and that they
do occasionally sell the lids without the cans.

Well, it certainly makes sense, from a customer's pov. I just have to
find a store that sells this model, but there are a lot of them around
here so I think I'll be able to, and then hope they will do the same
for me. Probably will, I guess.

Thanks.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:08:49 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

Bags? Who uses bags in a garbage can? (Only halfway kidding)

As cheap as garbage cans are, OP is spending more time on this than it
is worth. (IMHO, of course.)

Of course. It's also a borrowed garbage can, and I'd like to be able
to return the whole thing. (All my garbage cans are used up holding
firewood, from the tree that fell down, after my neigbhor complained
about it being stacked on my deck. So I built a firewood rack, 5 feet
long, but it's full already, and I was only able to free up one
garbage can. But it's cool enough to have a fire in the fireplace
now, and I did a couple nights ago.)

For the replacement, I suggest a wheeled
square can with an attached lid. Use the old can for yard waste or
something, where it doesn't matter if it is covered.

It's a townhouse. I have no space.

BTW, anyone ever tried to throw away a garbage can? (like a rusted out
metal one, or a cracked and broken plastic one.) I found you have to
mash it up and put it inside a garbage bag before they will take it.

Once, I had a brown plastic can that had several cracks from the
bottom up 8 or 12 inches, but it still worked fine for most things. I
think the garbage men just threw it away becaus they thought it was
old. That's a reaons with another cracking plastic can I try to
always put it out with the lid, to convince them it's still okay.

OTOH, maybe this was a fluke and most garbage men wouldn't do this.

The can in this thread is black, but really I only want brown because
it matches the house and the dirt around the bushes. But sometimes
it's hard to get brown and they sell those ridiculous blue ones.

MM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I got to tell you, it never occurred to me until I read Smitty's
answer that it was possible to buy a lid without a can. Although it
makes sense since lids get lost a lot more than most other things.

That's what I always figured too, until I recently bought 2 Rubbermaid
cans. The lids were listed separately than the cans, didn't notice until
they rang them up. I was like, huh? Whoever thought they would sell cans,
without lids.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:09:25 -0400, "Cajun" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I got to tell you, it never occurred to me until I read Smitty's
answer that it was possible to buy a lid without a can. Although it
makes sense since lids get lost a lot more than most other things.

That's what I always figured too, until I recently bought 2 Rubbermaid
cans. The lids were listed separately than the cans, didn't notice until
they rang them up. I was like, huh? Whoever thought they would sell cans,
without lids.

Well, I had a meeting tonight next door to home depot and I ran in.

My probably 32-gallon garbage can has NO brand name on it, somehow,
but it looked just like some 45 gallon garbage cans with the
Rubbermaid name on it. (Mine actually has a non-wrinkled area on the
front with no name embossed there!)** I measured it with my arm, and
theirs is a lot bigger than mine. The clerk thought they sold metal
lids separately but only metal. But I have to find a store or
website that sells the right size first.

But if you bought Rubbermaid separately recently, I'm on the right
trail.

**A couple of my neigbhors have the same size. I'll have to go look
if they have a brand name next garbage day. But they weren't around
when my lid went missing. Their cans and lids were lying in their
yards. I went out within an hour of the garbage collection. No one
was around except the garbage men.... at least that I saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Did the next guy downstream from you (as the packer truck drives) maybe
have an EXTRA lid you didn't notice? Maybe the guy on the back forgot to
let go....

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 9:12*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Buy a new can with a hinged lid and wheels.

Cut large holes in the bottom of the old can, invert it and use it as
a composter. No waste, and a positive ending.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

I am pretty sure both Lowes and Home Despot have stacks of lids-only.
Get one and use a big marker to put you street address on it.
In our neighborhood, we need to use (indentical) supplied garbage and
recycling containers. Everybody has theirs marked with their street
number.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
[...]

That's a very good point. I looked in that direction but I didn't
think of that or look harder. I'll check it out some more. Thanks

P&M because it's been a few days.