Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default not quite OT, and almost metal related - best goop to removecarbon deposits

Bill Noble wrote:

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

I would add to all the suggestions for Sea foam etc: If you car has
a catalytic converter, whatever you pour through the engine exits
through the converter, and can clog it.

yes, that is one reason why I pull the exhaust manifolds off before
attempting to clean these passages.

snip

I think all that putting water into the
intake air would do is to cause corrosion in the magnesium alloy
intake manifold and seize up the vari-ram that adjusts the mainfold
tuning as a function of engine RPM --- and that would be a "really
bad thing".

You are probably right. But you can use other fluids if you thought it
would get to the right place. Acetone has been used, for example.

Can you inject something (Sea Foam?) similarly into the access holes
you are working through, while the engine runs? Or add a feed line to
the air pump intake, rather than the engine manifold?.

I can certainly run a feed line to where the pump blows air - that's
where in the past I've hooked up my 160 PSI shop air - but I can't pour
stuff through while the engine runs because it will blow the stuff into
the catalytic converter, and you really don't want to know what a
coverter for one of these babies costs.....

does anyone know if sea foam or equivalent will do anything when the
engine is not hot? I can probably rig up some way to circulate it, or
to make it stagnate in the passages for a while so it can work its magic...

I've used it on cold engines. It works but not as well as on a warm
engine. However I don't see a reason why you couldn't warm the cleaner
and maybe line up a heat lamp on the head to warm it up?
The main reason for the warm/running engine is to get the cleaner into
the areas that need to be cleaned.

As for the converters, never had a problem with any of the ones I have
done. They all blow the residue out and into the system. 99% blows right
through and any particles that do get stuck usually burn out once the
unit lights off.

--
Steve W.