Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus6211 Ignoramus6211 is offline

Default DANGER! Gun question .....

On 2009-09-18, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ignoramus6211" wrote in message
I have a Winchester 22 hornet rifle. I still have not figured out what
are the good uses for it. It was kind of a rash garage sale purchase
and I am still deciding whether I should keep it or not. I have
somewhat too many guns and, perhaps, it would be better to swap it for
a regular .22.

What model Winchester? The Hornet is a very good cartridge but it's a
short-range varminter, compared to the hotter .22s. If it's legal in your
area for this use, it makes one hell of a fine squirrel gun. g Personally,
I wouldn't shoot a centerfire rifle at squirrels, but I knew someone who
used his Hornet for that and it was deadly. Head shots, of course.

I cannot recall what model, something like 740 or whatever.

As for squirrels, I had great luck killing them with an air
rifle. (Gamo 1000). This rifle is dead on accurate and drops squirrels
very reliably. I once made 5 shots and hit 4 squirrels. Three died
immediately, and one died under a shed (oops).

I stopped squirrel hunting because they taste very bad compared to
chickens.

That Gamo air rifle is beyond amazing. A lot of fun for just $200
(full retain price at Sports Authority). It does 1,000 fps.