Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default DANGER! Gun question .....

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Ignoramus6211" wrote in message
I have a Winchester 22 hornet rifle. I still have not figured out what
are the good uses for it. It was kind of a rash garage sale purchase
and I am still deciding whether I should keep it or not. I have
somewhat too many guns and, perhaps, it would be better to swap it for
a regular .22.

What model Winchester? The Hornet is a very good cartridge but it's a
short-range varminter, compared to the hotter .22s. If it's legal in your
area for this use, it makes one hell of a fine squirrel gun. g
Personally, I wouldn't shoot a centerfire rifle at squirrels, but I knew
someone who used his Hornet for that and it was deadly. Head shots, of
course.

Might try barking them with it. Seems like to much power though. I had
read about guys barking squirrels with muzzle loaders so I did some
experimenting with my .45 Kentucky rifle many years ago. With slightly less
powder than a pyramid load and a round ball it worked pretty darn good.
Stunned them good, and didn't go ricocheting through the trees. Not sure
how well that small bullet would do at throwing up enough bark to stun them,
but might be worth trying once or twice.