Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default New-fangled Electrickery Meters ...

"js.b1" wrote in message
Incorrect E7 times...
- Supplier may be none too happy and try to accuse you. As always,
keep past bills for gas & elec going back several years.

Storage heater switching...
- If your heaters are on a fixed timeswitch and E7 time is wrong,
things get expensive fast.
- E7 Night rate is 5p, E7 Day rate is 12p, so a discrepancy of 4hrs
with 9kW of heating over 120 days is a £302 overcharge.

So a) you need to get the E7 time changed or b) change your timers.

The problem with changing your timers is by doing so you knowingly
taking advantage of incorrect E7 times which the supplier might use
against you. No idea if they have any legal basis to do so, but
suppliers suffering electricity losses re plant-farms & meter-bypass
will most likely try to claw back revenue anywhere they can.

Basically check when your heaters switch on/off & the E7 Night rate
switches on/off.

I am expecting to report to them that the meter has this problem before it
goes on too long, as I'm sure that I would be the unlucky one that they
decided to have a pop at for defrauding them ...

That said, I'm going to give it a few days to see if it does self-correct,
and do a bit more research on how this can have happened. I certainly
haven't done anything that would have affected it. I haven't even had any of
the transmitters on since the meter was fitted, so it's not even as though
it's had 100 watts of 2m SSB shoved up it. And even if it had, it would be a
pretty poor design if it couldn't cope without screwing up the CPU.

In the meantime, I will just change the clock on the single storage circuit,
to match that of the meter clock. I have only just put the storage heater
back on anyway, and it's down very low, so not drawing too much charge
energy yet, anyway.

Arfa