Swingman

Default How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall)

Properly done, the screw strip is itself screwed into the cabinet top and
sides, and to the bottom and sides ... it becomes an integral part of the
cabinet construction and _very_ strong.

For additional strength in a cabinet that must hold a lot of weight, I also
glue it to the back panel when I install it.

Keep in mind that the back panel in a cabinet made this way is contained in
a rabbet that is cut 3/4" from the back edge of the two cabinet sides. If
you use a 3/4" thick screw strip, generally about 4 1/2" wide, it fits flush
with the back edges of the cabinet.

I'll mention again that if you bevel the bottom edge of the top screw strips
before installing it, the strip itself can also be used as the top half of a
"French
Cleat.

When doing this, I often use a double French cleat and put an additional
screw strip in the middle of the back of the cabinet. There is a picture of
this double cleat used to install a wall cabinet on my website: one of the
journal pages (writing desk).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message
How do you join this screw strip to the cabinet? I've looked through
many cabinetry books and articles without finding many details on this
connection. Looking at most manufactured kitchen wall cabinets, it
appears that the strip just fits between the end panels and squeezes
the back panel to the wall. Since the back panel is usually just a
stapled-on piece of eighth inch ply or hardboard, I'm unable to see
where the strength is.

"Swingman" wrote:

I build both wall and base units, which must be attached to a wall, with

at
least an upper and lower 3/4" thick screw strip that sits flush between

the
back panel and back edge of the cabinet sides.