Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default New-fangled Electrickery Meters ...

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 05:37:53 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I'd be more worried that you're probably paying for expensive
electricity for 4 hours longer than you think at the other end of the
day :-(

Hopefully the whole 7 hours has just shifted and as that doesn't
normally start until 0100(ish) there is little risk there unless the
tumble dryer and washer as set on time switches to be in the wee
small hours.

I hope you don't have storage heaters!

He does but only one but that is on an independant time switch which
will need keeping in sync with the meters clock. This isn't a problem
with properly installed storage heaters as they are normally
connected to their own switched suply, controlled by the meter, so
they only have power during the cheap period.

Why the clcok is now 4hrs slow is an odd one. If there is any
identifying marks numbers etc on the meter try feeding them into to
google to see if more information about the meter can be found. It
may have a radio receiver in it, which uses phase modulation(?) on R4
LW 198kHz to get time information and possibly when to switch rates.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes, it is an odd one, as the meter is otherwise working completely
correctly, and it happened suddenly apparently, during Wednesday night.
You're right with the R4 transmissions. I definitely remember reading that
timecode transmissions were put on there to synchronise Economy 7 clocks,
and I think that you are right on the phase mod as well. I've no idea
whether these 'modern' meters also have sync by radio, but I would have
thought that it was a bit 'dangerous' for them not to have, for both the
customer and the supply company. I was half expecting that when I checked
this morning, it would have put itself right and that the error was just
some anomaly that had occured, but no. There it is large as life (well
pretty small LCD actually !) still exactly 4 hours slow, so still at this
time, recording night units, even though we are now well into what should be
the day period.

Now, where's all that washing and tumble drying that needs doing ... ?
:-)

Arfa