Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stainless steel cable for ground "Rod"??

"Bob F" wrote in message
I acquired a length of 3/8" stranded stainless steel cable (from sailboat
rigging) at a metal recycler. I am planning to use this as my ground "rod"
for my house electrical system. Is there any reason this would not be a
good choice for my grounding system if I run it down 15 feet, well into the
water table, which is 7-10 feet down.

I will do this by using PVC pipe and water pressure to tunnel into the
ground, inserting the cable, then pulling the PVC out.

Should I leave my current galvanized rod connected also if I do this?

*It may work fine as a grounding electrode, but I prefer to stay with
approved methods. In your case I would be concerned about your connection
to the electrical panel or meter. Usually those terminations are only
approved for copper and aluminum conductors.

After you make your tunnel for the stainless cable to be inserted, what will
cause the tunnel to compress around the cable to make good contact with the
earth?