Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stainless steel cable for ground "Rod"??

I acquired a length of 3/8" stranded stainless steel cable (from sailboat
rigging) at a metal recycler. I am planning to use this as my ground "rod" for
my house electrical system. Is there any reason this would not be a good choice
for my grounding system if I run it down 15 feet, well into the water table,
which is 7-10 feet down.

I will do this by using PVC pipe and water pressure to tunnel into the ground,
inserting the cable, then pulling the PVC out.

Should I leave my current galvanized rod connected also if I do this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is an enima something that leaves me wondering?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

Considering it is not an Nec approved method, I'd say, go
for it, but leave
the approved grounding method intact. Kinda like an enima on
a dead person,
can't hurt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
I acquired a length of 3/8" stranded stainless steel cable (from sailboat
rigging) at a metal recycler. I am planning to use this as my ground "rod"
for my house electrical system. Is there any reason this would not be a
good choice for my grounding system if I run it down 15 feet, well into the
water table, which is 7-10 feet down.

I will do this by using PVC pipe and water pressure to tunnel into the
ground, inserting the cable, then pulling the PVC out.

Should I leave my current galvanized rod connected also if I do this?

*It may work fine as a grounding electrode, but I prefer to stay with
approved methods. In your case I would be concerned about your connection
to the electrical panel or meter. Usually those terminations are only
approved for copper and aluminum conductors.

After you make your tunnel for the stainless cable to be inserted, what will
cause the tunnel to compress around the cable to make good contact with the
earth?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:40:09 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

I acquired a length of 3/8" stranded stainless steel cable (from sailboat
rigging) at a metal recycler. I am planning to use this as my ground "rod" for
my house electrical system. Is there any reason this would not be a good choice
for my grounding system if I run it down 15 feet, well into the water table,
which is 7-10 feet down.

I will do this by using PVC pipe and water pressure to tunnel into the ground,
inserting the cable, then pulling the PVC out.

Should I leave my current galvanized rod connected also if I do this?

There will be a considerable difference in surface area between what
you get with a 1" or so diameter ground rod and the 3/8" cable. Part
of the benefit of the rod would be, I would think, that his has
substantial surface area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
I acquired a length of 3/8" stranded stainless steel cable (from sailboat
rigging) at a metal recycler. I am planning to use this as my ground "rod" for
my house electrical system. Is there any reason this would not be a good choice
for my grounding system if I run it down 15 feet, well into the water table,
which is 7-10 feet down.

I will do this by using PVC pipe and water pressure to tunnel into the ground,
inserting the cable, then pulling the PVC out.

Should I leave my current galvanized rod connected also if I do this?

If for some reason you want to add the stainless cable, yes leave the
current galvanized rod connected. If you are worried your current
ground rod is not sufficient, you may want to update it to latest code.
I *think* that is 2 10' rods 6' apart. If it's new construction the
ground starts out with all the rebar in the footer. It has to be
electrically connected and inspected before the footer is poured. Part
of the rebar, or maybe copper wire from the rebar in the footer is then
attached as your ground without the 10' stakes. (I think that is
right?) I just installed 2 10' ground rods I think 6' apart so I can
have a service going directly to the garage. I'm not sure about all of
that, I was relying on my brother, an electrician, to do the work and I
was the helper. Well not exactly. He let me hammer in the 2 10' ground
rods. (was ready to rent a big hammer drill if needed but it wasn't needed).

To avoid 2 bills which the power co. charges commercial rates for the
2nd one, I'm having a "current transformer" installed out on the pole
with the transformer. From the pole there will be a service going to
the house, and a second one going to the garage. The "current
transformer" monitors both services and powers a meter out on the pole
so I only get one bill. And they won't have to get out of the truck to
read the meter since it will be a newer infra-red optical output that is
read from a hand held unit pointed out of the truck window.