Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default not quite OT, and almost metal related - best goop to remove carbon deposits

wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:28:14 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:26:12 -0500, RBnDFW
wrote:

Bill Noble wrote:
so the metal is my car's engine - a horizontally opposed 6, that has
some air passages (supplementary air injection) that are clogged by
carbon, which causes the check engine light to come on - this is an
emissions control only issue, but it's annoying.

snip

Again, absolutely useless for the passages he's got problems with.

you are absolutely right - but there's gotta be a way, sort of
dismanteling
the engine - I wonder what would happen if I used 3000 PSI air from a
scuba
tank - .....(thinking)..... nope, that probably would not be all that
clever
either.....

Pure oxygen lance.

ok, I can do that easily enough - I have an oxyacetelyne torch - but pure O2
won't do anything unless I get the carbon hot, and I don't see a way to do
that - I can't run the engine and then take the manifolds off before it
cools down - maybe I should just bite the bullet and pull the heads - a
solid weekend's work and a few hundred $$ for gaskets - I just hate to do
it....